Deliver on the luck of the Irish with these six enjoyable, hands-on STEM tasks for St. Patrick’s Day!
From the magical pot of gold on the finish of a rainbow to fortunate charms, leprechauns, shamrocks and extra, St. Patrick’s Day is brimming with alternatives to tweak science and engineering actions to suit the day.
Strive one among these inexperienced picks for chemistry, engineering, and physics enjoyable with college students of all ages:
- Leprechaun Snot: It simply takes a little bit of inexperienced to show favourite slime-making science into one thing that has the sort of gross issue college students love. (Tip! An NGSS-aligned slime lesson plan is out there for educators.)
- Shamrock Launcher: Use cardboard tubes and the power saved in a rubber band to make a enjoyable cotton ball launcher. Use inexperienced cotton balls for high-flying St. Patrick’s Day enjoyable! (See additionally: Easy Science Actions with Cardboard Tubes.)
- Gentle Up Your Pot o’ Gold: Use copper tape, a coin cell battery, and LEDs, to discover paper circuits and make light-up playing cards or paintings.
- Fortunate Lava Lamp: Use the fizzing energy of Alka-Seltzer® to make a effervescent lava lamp. (Tip! This exploration of chemical reactions works nicely in all colours! For extra fizzing enjoyable, see 5 Fizzing, Foaming, and Effervescent Science Tasks! Many of those actions can simply be given a colourful twist to work for St. Patrick’s Day!)
- Gold Getaway-Cell: Construct and “drive” a automobile that speeds together with the wind. (For different enjoyable autos college students could make and take a look at, see Rev Up STEM Studying with Automotive Science Tasks.)
- Milk Rainbow: Create mesmerizing rainbows whereas exploring floor stress with this easy exercise utilizing milk, liquid cleaning soap, and meals coloring.
See these experiments in motion on this enjoyable science video:
Extra STEM Calendar Connections
Uncover different inventive STEM tie-ins on our STEM Calendar for Educators: Roadmap of STEM for January-June.