The Nationwide Affiliation of Nigerian College students (NANS) has vowed to dam the Third Mainland Bridge and floor actions and all of the Lagos ports this week because it intensifies its protest over the 7-months strike by the Educational Workers Union of Universities (ASUU).
That is as the scholars union stated that its protest at each the home and worldwide wings of the Murtala Muhammed Worldwide Airport is just a preamble, including that it is able to go on a week-long protest till the Federal Authorities accedes to its calls for on the decision of the strike motion of the ASUU.
This disclosure is contained in an announcement issued on Monday by the Chairman, NANS Nationwide Taskforce on #EndASUUStrikeNow, Ojo Raymond, the place it accused the Federal Authorities of intentionally denying the kids of the widespread Nigerian entry to high quality schooling.
What the NANS prime official is saying
Ojo, who accused the Federal Authorities of mobilizing the armed forces and different safety personnel in opposition to their real battle, insisted that the protest would proceed till the federal government makes the academic sector a precedence.
The assertion reads, “For the previous few days, we’ve got been protesting concurrently around the states of the nation to protest the continued ASUU strike which has lasted over seven months because of the ‘crass irresponsibility’ of the Federal Authorities to fulfil the phrases of the settlement they willingly signed with ASUU.
Information continues after this advert
“As an affiliation, we’re saddened by this improvement which has resulted within the closure of universities. And, this act, we consider, is deliberate by the Federal Authorities to disclaim the kids of the widespread Nigerian entry to high quality schooling which violates the provisions of Chapter two of the Structure of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).
“We’re utilizing this medium to reiterate that this protest continues and that we’ll not for any cause again down till the Federal Authorities takes the academic sector as a precedence. It’s fairly pathetic that the Federal Authorities is making use of the armed forces to quench a real battle of Nigerian college students even though these officers are additionally victims of the system whose youngsters are additionally affected the identical approach we’re.
“Right now’s protest at Muritala Muhammed Worldwide Airport (Home and Worldwide wings) is only a preamble of what’s to return in days forward. And, we’re informing most of the people and the worldwide neighborhood to pay critical consideration to this battle as a result of we’ve got been duly knowledgeable of the plan of the Federal Authorities to mobilise closely in opposition to this protest. This was even witnessed at the moment as anti-riot law enforcement officials and males of the Air Pressure have been mobilised to assault us not till they have been prevented by the mass of Nigerian college students.
Information continues after this advert
“We preserve that this protest shall final per week right here in Lagos State and can be held concurrently on the Murtala Muhammed Worldwide Airport, Nigerian Ports Authority and the third mainland bridge till our calls for are met.’’
What you need to know
- Recall that on September 13, members of NANS began their protest in opposition to the lingering ASUU strike with the blocking of the Shagamu interchange of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
- Tons of of the protesting college students demanded an instantaneous finish to the extended strike urging the Federal Authorities to satisfy the calls for of the hanging lecturers to allow them to return to class.
- NANS had earlier at the moment (Monday, September 19), made good its risk because it grounded actions on the Murtala Muhammed Worldwide Airport with its protest in opposition to the strike, inflicting visitors by blocking the street resulting in the airport.
- They defied the downpour to specific their grievances on the airport, inflicting visitors across the airport amid the presence of a mixed workforce of officers of the Lagos State Police Command, Speedy Response Squad, Lagos Airport Police Command, and different safety businesses.
- The scholars union had earlier condemned the Federal Authorities’s ‘No work no pay’, calling it a Fascist one and says it’s unacceptable to all of the thousands and thousands of scholars in Nigeria.